With a few changes to a time-honoured traditional recipe and giving special attention to presentation, this recipe will put the ohhhhh….into breakfast.
- 1 1/3 cups (325 ml) sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp (20 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) cornmeal
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) maple syrup
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) walnuts, coarsely chopped
Heat oven to 375°F. Grease 9 inch square cake pan. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir in cornmeal with fork. Combine milk, 1/3 cup (75 ml) maple syrup, butter, and eggs; add to dry ingredients. Stir in just until blended. Spoon into pan and smooth. Drizzle remaining 1/4 cup (50 ml) maple syrup over batter. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.