When asparagus and strawberries are in season (in June) you have to act fast to be able to make this fantastic salad that includes hints of maple in the dressing and the maple glazed pecans (yum!).
- 2 cups Ontario asparagus, trimmed & cut into 1 inch pieces
- 10 ounces fresh Ontario baby spinach and arugula
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (see maple glazed pecan recipe here)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Maple Balsamic Dressing
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Ontario maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
Trim the woody bottoms of the asparagus and cut into bite-sized pieces. Toss into salted boiling water and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water until asparagus is cool. Pat dry and set aside.
Quarter strawberries, slice onions, and remove stems from greens.
- Make maple glazed pecans and allow to cool. See recipe here.
Toss all of the salad ingredients together in a large serving bowl.
Whisk all dressing ingredients together until honey is fully incorporated. Drizzle over salad. Lightly toss and serve.